The Q&A Archives: Pruning Cherry Bushes

Question: I have cherry bushes they never been pruned.Should they be pruned. They get lots of fruit, but the cherries are very small.Also should they be fertilized or have suffate in the soil.

Answer: Unfortunately I am not absolutely clear on what type of plant you have. (Typical edible cherries are normally grown on larger trees rather than shrubs.) The ornamental sand cherry shrub for instance makes only small fruits and they are not considered particularly edible except by birds. Pruning would be limited to thinning occasionally if needed or possibly a renewal pruning if they have become badly overgrown. These are usually considered low maintenance plants and require only minimal care. An annual feeding in early spring with compost and/or a granular fertilizer such as 10-10-10 according to the label instructions should be sufficient. They are tolerant of most soil types except and overly wet one so no additional amendments should be required.