The Q&A Archives: Brown Dead Leaves On Container Cucumbers

Question: The leaves on my container cucumbers have dried out and are yellow/brown and can be crushed in my hands. A lot of the flowers are falling off. This seemed to happened in just a few days. Am I over or under watering?

Answer: Could be that you're under-watering. Another possibility is a fungal disease caused by overcrowding. Cucumbers grow best when soil moisture remains even - not so much that it's soggy, but enough to keep it from completely drying out. Moisture fluctuations can also contribute to bitterness in cucumbers so try to water often enough to keep the soil evenly moist. Plants growing in containers can use up water in a hurry so check your plants at least once a day - twice if the weather is really hot, and water as often as needed.