The Q&A Archives: Planting Tips for Clematis

Question: I have a Mrs. Cholmondeley' clematis. I'm looking for the proper way to plant it. My last two[of other varieties] died. I'd appriciate your expertise. Thanks. Sherrie Hansen

Answer: Clematis do enjoy a rich, humusy soil, so prepare a planting hole 1'-2' deep, and mix the soil with compost or bagged dried cow manure. Sprinkle in some bone meal to help the roots get a good start. While preparing the planting hole, saturate theroot ball of the plant to loosen the soil, which makes it easier to remove from the pot. Set the clematis out about an inch deeper than it was in the pot, firm the soil gently but well around the roots, and water well. Keep the soil evenly moist untilthe plant is well established. Mulch is helpful to keep competing weeds at bay. If the weather is droughty, water deeply once per week. And of course, give it something to climb!