The Q&A Archives: Tips

Question: I am trying to figure out the best way to do my garden. I have four gardening boxes, each is 12 feet by 16 feet. I live in Clovis, California. I would like to have things growing year round. I want to know the best and easiest plants to plant and what plants can be planted together. I also want to know which way the rows should go (north/south or east/west). I also want to know how wide my rows should be. Thank you. S. Beffort Clovis, CA

Answer: What an opportunity! All that room, starting from scratch. Where you live, you can grow all kinds of things, all year round. My first suggestions to any new gardener is to have the soil tested, and join the local garden club. The extension service can help you on both counts - give them a call at 209-456-7285. I can't get into too much detail, because whole books have been written that answer your question! One excellent book I recommend is Pat Welsh's Southern California Gardening (Chronicle Books, San Francisco, ISBN # 0-87701-629-1). Her suggestions are laid out in a monthly calender fashion. For example, in the month of May, she suggests planting the following: iris, roses, tropical plants, plant summer-blooming annual flowers such as zinnias