The Q&A Archives: Death Of Dwarf Cherry Trees?

Question: My dwarf cherries look like they are dying. The leaves are curled,blackened at the ends, and dropping off. They are 5 years old and should have been ready to set fruit soon. One tree is almost bare. There are spider like insects in the curled leaves. The other tree is following close behind. Could the closeness of Sumac trees have any affect on this problem? We live on the edge of marshland and the sumacs keep popping up closer and closer every year.
The cherries have been fertilized every 3 months with spikes for the 4 years we have had them.

Answer: Unfortunately, it sounds like your trees may be suffering from both insect and disease problems. You might wish to contact your county extension (736-3394) for a specific diagnosis of the problems and suggested remedies as well as recommendations for routine care of the trees. Although the sumac trees may be causing the cherries to need to compete for water and nutrients if the roots have encroached, or for light if they are large, it sounds like there is more at work than just that. I'm sorry about your trees.