The Q&A Archives: Oozing Sick Bark On Ash Tree

Question: We have a 13 yr old Ash tree that the bark is being stripped away almost like spliting or something is eating the flesh under the bark causing the bark to break away from the tree and tiny holes up and down the truck. The tree is oozing sap. It looks like we have a bore inside the truck. Any ideas on how to get rid of them

Answer: Unfortunately, any case where bark is being lost and there are holes tends to be a serious and potentially dangerous problem as the tree may be unsound inside where you can't see the damage. I would suggest you consult with a professionally trained and certified arborist and/or with your county extension (863-0110) to determine the exact nature of the problem(s) and whether or not the tree can be treated and saved or if it should be removed. I'm sorry about your tree.