The Q&A Archives: What Is A Godetia?

Question: I was given these cut flowers as a birthday gift. I would like to know if they are perennials or annuals and where I could purchase either the seeds or the plants. They come in different colors. Can you help me?

Answer: Sounds like someone made you especially happy on your birthday! Godetia are also called satin flower or farewell-to-spring. The plants prefer growing in cool, damp summer regions such as the Pacific Northwest, but you can grow them as annuals, for spring color, expecting them to die out when the weather gets too hot for them. Seeds should be sown indoors about 6 weeks before your last frost date. Sow them in individual peat pots so you can transplant them outdoors in the spring. (The seedlings don't like to be disturbed so planting in peat pots will keep their roots intact.) Godetia grows best in full sun with part afternoon shade, in cool, moist, well draining soil. Water regularly and provide stakes for support. The plants can grow 24"-48" tall and produce wavy-petaled flowers in shades of pink or purple or in pure white.

Seeds are available from Thompson & Morgan, Inc., PO Box 1308, Jackson NJ 08527-0308. Phone (800) 274-7333.