The Q&A Archives: Rotten Squash

Question: Over the past two years I have had absolute failure with my summer squash, crookneck squash, and zucchini. Way before maturation the squash rots on the vine. I make a point not to over water. What could be going wrong?

Answer: The problem is most likely fungal or bacterial diseases attacking fruit. Fungicide or bactericide sprays can help, but cultural techniques like not overwatering, using a drip watering system rather than constant overhead sprinkling, and growing vines on a trellis to improve air circulation all will help significantly. I have grown vining squash on a trellis for years and have not had a significant problem with fruit rot. Mulching can certainly help reduce the problem somewhat but is not a 100% solution to this problem.

If you want a spray option, contact your Extension Office and they can recommend an appropriate product.