The Q&A Archives: Low Maintenance Flowers for HI

Question: I would like to plant some hardy, low maintance flowers in my garden that gets full sun and in some pots in front of our house. I already have boungivellea and hibiscus. Can you suggest some low maintenance flowers, fast growing, hardy flowers? Thanks Tere Obrochta Wahiawa, HI

Answer: There are many plants to choose from to grow in your pots in Hawaii. Tropical shrubs and trees such as oleander and plumeria would grow well in large pots if you want bigger plants. Perennials such as lantana and verbena will grow well in smaller pots.Traditional bedding plants such as petunias and salvia like the sun and should be available. Check the local garden center for other ideas. I'm sure there are lots that I'm not familiar with living on the mainland.