The Q&A Archives: Care For Agapathus

Question: I brought 3 agapathus plants from the Bay area in California which is very popular there. However, I am not sure how to provide cares for them properly. Besides that, do you think they can survive the winter in DC metro area? Please help me out. Thanks

Answer: Agapanthus, or African lily, is best suited to containers in your growing region so you can bring them indoors during the winter months. The plants grow from thick rhizomes. A medium light exposure and well drained soil will provide the best growing environment. Keep the soil uniformly moist in summer but slightly dry in winter.
Use an equal analysis fertilizer according to label
directions. Temperatures of 50 to 55 degrees at night and
65 to 70 degrees during the day are ideal. Day temperatures
higher than 70 degrees may cause slow growth. African Lily
grows best when potbound. Flowering is not dependent on a
particular day length. The plant rests after flowering and
may be grown outdoors in sun or light shade during the

During the winter agapanthus appreciate cooler temperatures at night - say 50 to 55 degrees and days of perhaps 65
degrees. In winter when growth is slow they should not be fertilized but watered lightly -- just enough to keep the soil from going dry. Next spring begin fertilizing again.

Enjoy your new plants!