The Q&A Archives: Squirrels And My New Aspen Tree

Question: We have a one year old Aspen tree and its doing great BUT you guessed it, the squirrels are stripping off the bark. What do I do? I can't shoot em!

Answer: Squirrels are tough to deal with, but there may be some help for you.

The easiest would probably be to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it.

You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This will discourage squirrels from taking up residence in your yard.

I realize these aren't really simple solutions...but it's not a simple problem! Are you sure that squirrels are the only culprit? Could you also be having trouble with a woodchuck, or a family of rabbits?