The Q&A Archives: Leaves Dried Up On 3 Yr Old Big Blue Plum Tree

Question: In the beginning of June my Big Blue Plum tree dried up. I'm not sure if it is dead or not but all the leaves wilted
and turned black. Can you tell me what happened ?

Answer: Plums, along with other stone fruits, are subject to a large number of diseases and foliar problems. A young tree weakened by drought and a severely cold winter could be more susceptible to infection and the combined stress could possibly kill it outright. You might want to consult with your county extension (772-8953) to try to determine what has happened to your tree. In some cases it would then not be a good idea to replace it in the same spot with another tree susceptible to the same disease. In other cases it might be wise to institute a regular spray program and/or select specific varieties based on disease resistance and hardiness factors. I hope you can solve the mystery.