The Q&A Archives: Summer/fall Blooming Perennials

Question: I'm looking for perennials (plants and shrubs) that will bloom in either summer or fall. All of the perennials in my garden are done blooming by the end of July. I would like to get some summer and fall color into the garden. I have full sun and sun/partial shade areas and lots of space. I live in zone 6.

Answer: Here are some perennials to try: Japanese anemone, Black eyed Susan, Joe Pye Weed, phlox "David", Boltonia (pink and white), Asters, sedums such as "Autumn Joy", and late blooming hostas for the partial shade along with toad lily (Tricyrtis). You might also add some flowering shrubs such as caryopteris, crape myrtle (there are newer hardier types available) and butterfly bushes since you have lots of space.