The Q&A Archives: White Blotches On Scarlet Honeysuckle

Question: I have a Lonicera X BrownII Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle
that was planted early this spring.It grew wonderfully until
approximately 2-4 weeks ago. It has developed white mold-like patches and does not look well. We haven't received
much rain recently, and we haven't watered it excessively. Is there something I could be treating it with?

Answer: It sounds as though your honeysuckle has developed powdery mildew. Powdery mildew is a fungal disease that attacks plants when environmental conditions are right (warm days, cool nights, some humidity) and air circulation is poor. You can help avoid powdery mildew by giving plants the required exposure to sunshine, and plenty of elbow room so there's good air circulation all around them. Here is a good home remedy: Make a baking soda solution and spray it onto the affected plants. To make this solution mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 2 1/2 tablespoons of ultra-fine horticultural oil with a gallon of water. The oil is slightly fungicidal and acts to help the baking soda coat the leaf and hang on longer. Apply as a spray as soon as the mildew appears and every 10-14 days thereafter. Be sure to coat all surfaces!