The Q&A Archives: Caring for Dragon Cane (Dragon Tree)

Question: I have a plant given to me called a Dragon Cane. Can you tell me the proper care this plant needs? I've feed it Miracle-Gro, plant food spikes on 5/15/97 the results are already visable. However, I want to insure its continual grown, so is there anything else that I should be doing? Also, what other plants do you suggest goes well as far as a companion for my plant? Akkub Mensuphu-Bey Baltimore, MD

Answer: I am assuming you are referring to the houseplant, also known as dragon tree or draecena. Place your plant in a place that receives medium light. It can withstand full sun but does not require it. If kept in an area with low light, water sparingly; in a sunnier spot keep slightly moist. Since these are fairly slow-growing plants, take care not to over-fertilize. A dilute fertilizer application every month or so should be plenty. Watch for insect pests--especially spider mites. You can identify these by the fine webbing they make, usually on new growth, and a stippling of the leaves. I would not plant any other plants directly in the pot with your dragon tree--it is difficult to provide the proper conditions for two different types of plantsin one planter. Some good medium-light indoor plants to try include pothos (devil's ivy), philodendron, other types of dracaenas, and spider plants.