The Q&A Archives: Gnats

Question: HELP!!! I am being invaded by gnats in my home. I have recently added several houseplants and they seem to be living there. Is there anything short of getting rid of my plants, or having to spray them every day to make these go away?

Answer: Your houseplants probably have an infestation of fungus gnats. Generally the adults aren't harmful. The eggs they lay turn into maggots that feed on decaying organic debris. The gnats prefer moist soil conditions, so wait until the top of the soil has dried out before watering your houseplants. If you're growing plants that require constantly moist soil, place an inch or two of decorative rocks on the soil surface to keep the gnats from accessing the soil to feed and breed.