The Q&A Archives: Shrubs That Will Not Flower

Question: I have a trumpet vine and a rose of sharon shrub both appear to be healthy plants but they never flower. What is lacking in the soil or locataion?

Answer: Some trumpet vines will take a number of years to come into bloom, but the Rose of Sharon shrub generally blooms at a very young age. Both of these do best in full sun with anywhere from average to excellent soil and no special care. In my experience, too shady a location could account for the lack of bloom in both. Improperly timed pruning could also remove the blooming wood of the season. These may both be pruned in late winter or very early spring to stimulate vigorous new growth, and the flowers will form on the current season's new wood. Pruning in the summer would remove the flower buds.