The Q&A Archives: Daylily Seeds

Question: My daylilies have stopped blooming, and now have one or two rather large unopened buds on them. Out of curiosity, I opened one only to find somewhat round, black things inside. Are these seeds? I brought them into the house and they've been on the kitchen counter for about a week. If the are seeds, when can I plant them? It's the first day of August. Can I plant them outdoors now? If not, when can I plant them and what should I do with the seeds until then?

Thank you.

Answer: You can sow the seeds you've collected, and they should grow into new little daylily plants. The seeds require special treatment prior to germination:

Mix the seeds with moistened growing medium, seal in a plastic bag, and refrigerate for 6 weeks. Then remove the seeds, sow them 1/8" deep in moistened seed starting mix, and place plastic wrap over the trays or pots to help hold in moisture. Seeds should sprout in 21-49 days when kept at 60F-70F. As soon as seedlings appear remove the plastic to allow fresh air to circulate, and move seedlings under a source of light. If you'd rather plant them outdoors, do so now and the winter weather will provide the needed pre-germination chill.