The Q&A Archives: Rabbits Eating My Ripened Tomatoes

Question: I have a problem with rabbits. They eat every tomato that ripens. I have planted Marigold and it doens't seem to work. CAN YOU HELP ME?

Answer: There are a number of animal repellent sprays that would help deter rabbits from eating the flowers. Try 'Get Away' or 'Deer Away' available from Burpee. 'Deer Away' is effective in deterring deer and rabbits and lasts 7-10 days without washing off. Natural scent repellents are also available such as fox and coyote urine. I have found that rabbits quickly realize there is no actual threat though. You could also try constructing a fence of 1-inch chicken wire that should be 2feet high and buried at least 6 inches deep around your flowers. Consider also interplanting your flowers with garlic, onions, Mexican marigold or dusty miller. Bunnies tend not to like their aroma. (Mexican marigold is different than the common border marigold so perhaps that's why your planting didn't work well.) In any event, good luck with your garden!