The Q&A Archives: Searching for a Chinese Garlic

Question: I returned last week from China where I spent a week in a village near Beijing. I found the villagers using a form of garlic I'd never seen before. It was about 1.25" to 1.5" in diameter (about the size of common garlic) but, on peeling it I found almost all were formed as a single, solid, head that wasn't separated into cloves. The few that were divided into cloves only had 2 or 3 and each of them were very large. Also, the flavor was undiminished (like elephant garlic is) but rather retained its normal, pungent flavor/aroma. I'd like to know where I can order sets/seeds for this type of garlic. Can you help me? Robert S Folkenberg Fulton, MD

Answer: I don't know the variety of garlic you "discovered" in that village in China, but I do know of a garlic expert in Washington, who might know about it and be interested. His name is Ron Engleland and he owns Filaree Farms, 182 Concully Hwy, Okanogan, WA 98840, (509-422-6940). I hope he can help.