The Q&A Archives: Something Is Eating The Leaves Of My Birch Tree

Question: I have a new birch tree in the back yard about 8 foot tall. A lot of the leaves have many tiny holes and some branches are being stripped bear.
I can not find any small insects on the branches. Did notice a lady bug on a leaf, do they eat the leaves?
What can I use to help the tree?

Answer: Lady bugs are considered beneficial insects and would not be harming your tree. There are a number of pests that may attack birches but based on the information in your question I am unable to determine what is attacking your tree. You might wish to take a sample to your county extension (840-7408) for a specific identification of the pest and their most up to date recommendations of how to treat it most effectively. They may also have some general recommendations on birch care in your warm summer area.