The Q&A Archives: Squirrel Problem

Question: Please help me to get rid of squirrels in my yard? They eat my fruit and chew the bark on the trees. A trap only worked once. I tried nuts, corn on the cob as bait. Is there a poison that I can use? I don't have any pets to endanger.

Answer: The tree banding technique should work for any tree squirrels. This involves pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet off the ground. Then you will need to place 2 foot wide metal bands around each tree trunk in such a way that the bottom of each band is a minimum of 2 feet off the ground. The 2 feet height is about where the squirrel will reach when he jumps into the tree. He'll just slide back down. AND he won't be able to reach the lowest branches either!

To protect the rest of your garden, try covering the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it.

Squirrels are tough to deal with. Best of luck!