The Q&A Archives: Webs On Rosemary

Question: My Rosemary plants have what looks like spider webs throughout the plant. One looks like is turning brown and dying. I took a pressure water hose nozzle to see if I could wash it off, when doing so, numerous (looked like small moths, sort of yellowish red in color)flew out of the plant. Are they the cause? How can I get rid of them and will my plants revive? Don't want to use toxic sprays if I don't have to, some adjacent plants have praying mantis on them (I've heard they're the good guys)PLEASE ADVISE!!

Answer: Webbing is usually associated with spider mites, not moths. I wonder if the moths were feeding on the mites? Since spider mites like dry places you can discourage them by regularly hosing off your rosemary. Preying mantids are indeed good guys so you'll want to encourage them to remain in the garden. As soon as they discover the spider mites they should move to the rosemary and devour the pests. I think I'd refrain from using pesticides and let the beneficial insects reduce the population of bad guys.

Good luck with your rosemary!