The Q&A Archives: Tiny Black Spots On Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoes

Question: This problem happens every year with my Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoes. After harvesting beautiful cherry tomatoes for a couple of weeks, they start to get VERY SMALL black spots. Now here's what's unusual: The spots never get any bigger than a pencil point, but there are lots of them all over the cherry tomatoe. The problem gets worse as we get into September, and pretty soon I give up harvesting all the cherry tomatoes that are left because they are filled with little tiny black spots (they never get big). I have searched through your library of questions, and cannot find an answer to this. We love Sweet 100's, but we really get frustrated with this problem. I have never seen this probem of tiny black spots appearing on regular tomatoes -- only Sweet 100 Cherries. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks very much.

Answer: Based on your description it is difficult to identify the problem, although it could possibly be a case of bacterial speck (1/16th of an inch spots). You might want to take a sample to your county extension (797-4176) to see if they (or the plant pathology lab) can identify it specifically for you and suggest ways to control it.