The Q&A Archives: Growing Tomatoes in Winter (AL)

Question: I am a new gardener (barely more than a "wannabe") and also new to the Birmingham area. I am growing some Better Boys' and Beefsteaks' in large containers on my patio and they're doing great. I have seen "Cold Set" tomatoes in catalogues that aresupposed to tolerate very cold temperatures. Would it be possible to grow them here in Birmingham in our mild winters? Ramona Cooper Birmingham, AL

Answer: You can try to grow a fall crop of tomatos in Alabama, but I don't think they'll make it through the winter. 'Cold Set' tomatoes set fruit in cold temperatures, but the plant will die if exposed to freezing temperatures. I do know it freezes in Birmingham in winter, so the plant will die. However, if you want to try for a fall crop, set the transplants out in July, protect them from excessive heat and insects and you should get fruit by the fall.