The Q&A Archives: Japanese Beetle Control with Beneficial Insects

Question: A friend at work and I were discussing Japanese beetle problems we are both having on our flowers and he noticed your catalog sells praying mantis insects. We were wondering if they would help control the Japenese beetles.

Answer: I congratulate you on attempting to control a pest problem with a beneficial insect! However, praying mantis aren't typically effective against Japanese beetles. Beneficial insects that you can attract to consume these beetles include parasitic wasps and flies, such as tachnids. They will arrive if you have pollen and nectar plants, such as flowers from the Umbelliferae family, such as parsley, dill and many others. Also, birds like the beetles and the grub (larval) stage, including cardinals, catbirds, meadowlarks, grackles and starlings. I hope this info helps!