The Q&A Archives: Leafless New Dogwood

Question: I have planted a small dogwood tree and the leaves are all gone off it. How often can I feed it to try to bring it back?

Answer: Sometimes the very act of transplanting can send a tree into shock and the first things to go are the leaves. Be sure to water your new tree regularly (once each week during the growing season), but don't feed it until it begins showing new growth. Just to make sure it's alive, gently scrape away the bark on one of the branches and look for green tissue. If the tissue is brown, that part of the tree is dead. Keep scraping until you find green tissue. You may have to prune away the dead parts to encourage new growth. Once your tree begins putting out new stems and leaves you'll know it's ready to be fed. Good luck with your tree!