The Q&A Archives: Drooping Buds On Roses

Question: I have a rose bush that was doing fine until about a week ago when I notice some kind of spore coming through the mulch and since then the buds have been drooping on that side. I have since clean the area around the bush and watered well. I now have another bush completely on the other side of the yard that is doing the same thing. I am open to any suggestions you might have on what is wrong.

Answer: It is fairly common to see odd growths on mulch during wet weather, but as a rule they do not affect the plants growing nearby. ( I suppose it would be possible for something in the mulch itself to be affecting the plants, but not all that likely.) Wilting such as you describe can be caused by insects including stem borers and thrips. You might want to inspect the plants very carefully for these.