The Q&A Archives: Tree Stump And Root Removal

Question: Earlier this year I cut down a trumpet plant because I have underground utilities and was worried about the roots doing damage. I used Roundup and a stump and root killer by Ortho to kill the stump. I recently tried planting something else in that same place and the plants died. Is there any way to remove or neutralize the chemical from the soil?
Cindy Stessel

Answer: That must be persistent stuff! I also wonder if there was some kind of reaction between the two products. Does the label state how long the products remain active in the soil? If not, I suggest you call the manufacturer, or visit their web site. I believe manufacturers are required to list this contact information, so it should be there. If you've discarded the package, you should be able to get info by dialing Ortho (888)-295-0671.