The Q&A Archives: Ivy Geraniums

Question: I live in Cincinnati which is a zone 6. I would like to plant ivy geraniums and petunias in window boxes
which are located on my deck. This location receives full southern exposure all day long and it can
get quite hot. In addition, our summers typically are humid.

I have tried ivy geraniums before (as well as zonal geraniums) and they did not do well at all. I attributed
it to perhaps too much water or not enough drainage but in reviewing your library of previous questions,
I see that too much heat and/or humidity can be a problem for these plants.

I'm willing to try the ivy geraniums again if they have a chance of doing well. What do you think?

Answer: Since your summer weather is hot, you might have better success with your ivy geraniums by providing some light shade, especially during the afternoons. A different trailing plant that thrives under hot, humid conditions is lantana. You might want to give it a try!