The Q&A Archives: Shrub Suggestion

Question: I have a garden in front of my dining room. I would like to plant a couple of shrubs but I would like something that will not grow too tall so that my windows will not be covered up. There is a lot of sun in the afternoon and since we are in Virginia, we have lots of clay. Any suggestions?

Answer: . Try one or more of these: 1.) Spiraea japonica 'Shibori' also known as 'Shirobana'. Grows 2-3' tall, blooms appear on weeping branches summer through fall. Blooms are varied shades of white, pink, and red. Prefers full sun. 2.) Lespedeza thunbergii 'Gibraltar'. Blooms mid-summer to fall. Rosy purple blooms on cascading branches. Grows 4 1/2' tall. Prefers full sun, good drainage. 3.) Mahonia aquilfolium, also known as Oregon Holly-grape. Evergreen shrub with leaves that turn bronze-red in the fall. Cluster of bright yellow flowers in spring followed by attractive blue fruit in the summer. Daphne odora (winter daphne) is a 2-3' shrub with fragrant purple or white flowers.