The Q&A Archives: Controlling Monkey Grass

Question: We have non-varigated monkey grass in a border around our house. It grows profusely. We've tried to eradicate it unsuccessfully. Since we are resigned to live with it, how can we at least control the growth?. How do we trim and thin the grass and not promote growth? It is so bushy and ugly. Thanks. M Grass (really my name) Huntsville, AL

Answer: I'm not familiar with Monkey grass, but if you want to contain it, you might try barriers such as plastic or metal lawn edging that goes at least one foot deep into the soil. You can create your own edging and keep the grass at least in a certain area. Short of that, you'd have to use herbicides to kill it and may need repeated treatments. Check commercial products to see if monkey grass is one of the weeds controlled before spraying.