The Q&A Archives: Mix Used for Filling in Divots

Question: Most golf courses have containers of grass seed, soil, sand? or whatever, to use when you make a divot. What is the mixture and do you think it might be a good idea to carry on my lawn tractor to pour on bare spots in the lawn? Thank you. Phil Byfield, MA

Answer: I'm not a golfer, so I don't know of these containers on the golf course. I'd guess that it's a mix of grass seed and dried compost that you can spread in the divot. Once it rains or they water, that will start the germination process and the compost helps with fertility and "filling in" the hole. I suppose you can do the same in your yard. Just choose a grass variety that's appropriate for your law. Fescues for the shade and bluegrass of ryegrass for the sun. You might want to have an iron rake to scratch the soil before seeding. Then just "chip" (couldn't resist the pun) away at the project.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"