The Q&A Archives: Gladioli Didn't Flower

Question: I planted about 50 gladioli bulbs this spring. All I got
out of 50 was 2 that flowered, all others just leaves.
The leaves are not discolored in any way but after growing to about 2 - 3 feet in height they start to fall over.
Why didn't they bloom ?
Will this happen again next year ? I feed with Miracle Grow.

Answer: Gladiolus can bloom from spring to fall, depending upon kind. They like full sunshine and average soil, with regular watering during the spring and summer months. The problems with your glads might be how they were stored, when and how they were planted, and what kind of aftercare they've been given. Obviously, if you planted mishandled corms, the results, as disappointing as they were, were typical.

Standard garden variety gladiolus corms can be planted in March in your gardening region. If planted every two weeks, you'll have a succession of blooms. Glads normally bloom 65-100 days after planting. If you planted in March, the corms sould have had time to bloom before the weather got too hot for them.

Glad corms should be planted about four times as deep as they are wide, and spaced 4"-6" apart. The soil should be amended with organic matter prior to planting, to provide nutrients and to help the soil retain just the right amount of moisture. A sunny site and weekly watering will produce healthy foliage and flowering stalks.

Hope the above information helps you determine what went wrong with your glads!