The Q&A Archives: Marigolds as Pest Deterrents

Question: Someone told me years ago to plant marigolds around the border of my vegetable garden and that it would help keep down the amount of pests. I have done this ever since then, and I have never had bad luck with pests at all. Is there any truth to this oram I just lucky?? Mona Rhoades Pawnee, IL

Answer: I don't have any scientific data on hand to prove that marigolds are effective against a variety of pests, but there is certainly anecdotal evidence. Scientific studies have been done that show that certain harmful root nematodes are deterred by certain marigolds; Burpee sells a marigold named Nema-gone which has been bred for just this purpose. Who knows if your "good luck" can be attributed to the marigolds--I just hope it continues!