The Q&A Archives: Sagging The Coneflower Magnus

Question: I planted a Coneflower Magnus in my garden back in May and it grew wonderful red flowers through out the summer, until this past week of August, it started to look dull. The leaves began to sag and a few leaves bitten off by insects. The flowers young and mid-aged began to start sagging. I have sprayed Inscect Spray repellant for plants by Bayer and seemed to help during the summer. But now, I had to trim the dead sagging leaves and old rundown flowers in fear that some virus has over taken the poor flower. What is wrong? What am I doing wrong?

Answer: I don't think the symptoms you describe point to a virus, but to a problem with the roots. Wilting usually signals over- or under-watering, or soil that's not draining well. It might also be reacting to the pesticide applications you've been providing. Coneflowers thrive in full sunshine in average to dry soils. They need regular, deep watering during the hottest months of summer. Continue to remove spent blooms from your plants and try to nurse them along for the rest of the summer. In the autumn you can cut the plant down to soil level and remove the debris from the garden. Next spring healthy new foliage should emerge from the roots. Good luck with your coneflowers!