The Q&A Archives: Perennials for Florida

Question: I just moved to FL (zone 9) and whould like to know what types of flowering perennials do well in sandy soil, partial shade (dappled) and can take the heat. Also, when should I plant?

Answer: Here are a few suggestions: Butterfly Bush (Buddleia spp.) Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa), Daylily (Hemerocallis spp.), False Dragon Head (Physostegia virginiana), and Pentas (Pentas lanceolata). For more suggestions, visit the following web site for the Florida Extension publication "Flowering Perennials for Florida"

Fall is a good time to plant, so the plants will have time to get established before they face your hot summers. Note that the extension publication has lots of information about general care for perennials.