The Q&A Archives: Planting Seeds

Question: When is the best time to plant perennial seeds such as black-eyed susans, coreopsis, cone flowers, ect.? Someone told me to plant the seeds in the garden in the fall so they will go thru a freezing spell. I also will have a greenhouse, and am wondering if I should wait until early spring and get them started in pots.

Answer: Coneflowers and blackeyed susans and lance leafed coreopsis may germinate without a cold stratification period and so could be started almost any time. In some cases however they will not germinate and so a few weeks of cold chilling can be used to jump start them. In nature they will self sow during the summer, but as a gardener the choice is up to you. They will reach a larger size and possibly bloom sooner if planted during the summer and given that extra few months of growth.