The Q&A Archives: Fall Cleanup - Soil Sterilization

Question: As you know, it has been a very wet summer here in the East. My soil has a black mold/mildew on the top. My question concerns soil sterilization. Can a solution of bleach be sprayed on the soil? If so, what would the concentration be per gallon for an area approx. 15'x 20'?

Answer: Unfortunately I am not able to identify the growth on the soil and so I can't make a suggestion as to how to treat it or even if it is necessary to treat it. Many types of mold and fungus are simply a natural part of the decay process adn will grow on say mulch and cause no harm to plants; they also tend to disappear once conditions turn drier. I would suggest you consult with your county extension as to what you have and what to do about it. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.