The Q&A Archives: Raspberries

Question: I have 8 lantam red rapberry bushes that have not any fruit this year I followed all directions from nursery where purchased and last year had quite a few this year none nice big heathy bushes what can I do to assure fruit next year?

Answer: One of the most common reasons for poor fruiting is lack of pruning or pruning at the wrong time. Raspberry canes grow for two years. The first year they simply grow, the second year they form fruit. Once a cane has fruited it should be cut off at the base and removed to conserve the plant's strength for next year's fruiting canes. The new canes should then be thinned so there are only six to ten per plant so there is no crowding. These will be the fruit bearers the following year.