The Q&A Archives: Dead Black Stems And Leaves At Base Of Plants

Question: All of my plants seem to be developing black leaves and stems at the base of the plant. it is happening to all of the flowers in a bed from one to the next. asters,daisies,lemon thyme, it a spreading disease? the tops look great and there is new growth at the base after i pull the dead stuff away which is sometimes the healthy tops too.

Answer: Based on your description I would suspect a fungal problem, however since it is affecting such a large variety of plants you might want to take a sample to your county extension (921-8803) for identification and suggested treatment -- in the meantime, avoid working on the plants when they are wet and keep removing the affected portions. Remove and destroy the trimmings (do not compost them) to help limit reinfection.