The Q&A Archives: How Do I Identify?

Question: I have a strange looking plant coming up in my garden. I don't know if it is a weed because I have never seen anything like it before (and believe me...I have had my share of weeds). Is there some way...some resource...some internet place I can go to try to find out if it is a plant, a weed or some sort of extra-terresterial growth? I can describe it as a tall thin shoot with long, thin leaves. Dark green, but no apparent flowers. I looked through the Burpees Complete Gardener book I have, but could not find anything. I would hate to pull it if it turns out to be some beautiful tropical thing. Help!

Thank you.

Jody Brown
Canoga Park

Answer: I'm with you! I like to positively identify a plant before assuming it's just a weed. After all, weeds are only plants growing in the wrong place. Here's a website that might be helpful: