The Q&A Archives: Rejuvenating Wilting Arborvitaes

Question: Two and a half years ago I planted 15 arborvitaes that were healthy- 4 ft tall next to a new, poured concrete wall and they almost died. I gave them Miracle Grow Miracid and that seemed to work until this winter when we got heavy snow --now they are like weeping willows--they are still healthy,just limp--can you help? Thanks mike

Answer: Your arborvitaes probably just were bent from the weight of snow on them this winter. They will eventually right themselves. If you applied the Miracle Gro fertilizer late in the summer, you probably weakened the stems with too much nitorgen fertilizer. I'd fertilize only in spring with a complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or an organic fertilizer with a similar ratio. This will help the overall growth of the bushes and not keep them actively growing into the fall.