The Q&A Archives: Leaves Turning Brown And Dying On A Lilac Bush, French Hybrid Primrose

Question: I planted the Lilac bush approx. 4 years ago. It has bloomed every year. This year it bloomed and now the leaves are turning brown and looks like I am going to loose the entire bush. Is there a certain type of food I should be feeding it? Please Help.

Answer: In general, fertilizing will not help a plant that is suffering unless the problem is nutrient based. This does not sound like something fertilizer would help. Unfortunately, lilacs are subject to several problems that could cause them to brown and based on your description I can't make a definite diagnosis. You might want to consult with your county extension horticulture staff (475-2200) for a specific diagnosis and suggested remedies. I'm really sorry I can't be more helpful.