The Q&A Archives: Growing Kidney Beans in Containers

Question: Could you please tell me how I could grow some kidney beans, if possible? I live in an apartment, but I have a large balcony, in which I could put a big pot for the beans. What are the conditions a kidney bean would grow in? Please send me any information you have! C.J Buenos Aires, Argentina

Answer: Kidney beans like full sun (at least 6-8 hours a day) and well drained, moist soil. If your balcony gets enough direct sun and the pots are at least 12 inches wide, then you should be able to plant kidney beans. Use a potting soil mix that containsperlite or vermiculite and mix that with bagged compost or topsoil 1:1. I assume in Argentina you are entering the winter season soon, so this may not be the time to plant. I'd check with gardening friends and ask when they plant beans in Buenos Aires.