The Q&A Archives: Emerald And Gold Euonymus Diseases

Question: I just emailed a question on my Emerald and Gold Euonymus but I forget to tell you a few things. A Rhubarb plant that was planted near my shrubs suddenly died out also. When my husband looked at the roots he said there were insects that looked like maggots. Could my shrubs have some kind of insect problem. I've also noticed a lot of spiders seem to scatter while I'm watering. What are some of the usual diseases or insects that attack Euonymus'.
Thanks ahead of time for any information you can give me.

Answer: Unfortunately, I can't track your first question so I do not have the full story. However, the most common problem with this plant is probably scale insects. Although scale can be successfully treated with horticultural oil, they can be difficult to control on a thick, dense planting. According to Michael Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" the plants may also be infected with mildew, anthracnose, crown gall (a bacterial disease), leaf spots, and additional insects such as thrips and aphids. You might want to consult with your county extension as to the true nature of the problem and how to treat it. They should also be able to assist with rhubarb problem.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"