The Q&A Archives: When And How To Transplant A 2 Year Old Magnolia Tree

Question: I have two Magnolia Trees growing on the bank in front of my home. They are about 2 years old or more. I would like to transplant them into my yard this fall. Could you please tell me if that would be the right time to transplant them and how I can better ensure that they will live through the move.

Answer: Your trees can generally be transplanted anytime as long as the ground is not frozen. However, it is best to avoid periods when your trees are actively growing, i.e., in the spring when you see those new green shoots appearing. I usually do my transplanting in the fall, mid-October to mid-November. By transplanting on an overcast day or in the early evening your transplants have a bit of a chance to process their new environment before having to absorb sunlight. Particularly windy days are also something to avoid, the wind will quickly dry out the roots. Be sure to dig your holes in the new area before you dig up the fir trees. The less time the roots are exposed to sun and air the better. Be sure to water the plants in well after moving. Many transplant failures are a result of not watering in well enough. Good luck with your magnolia's!