The Q&A Archives: How to Start Seeds in Peat Pellets

Question: I'm using peat pellets to germinate some flowering seeds. The first shoots had already appeared and I only had to water the seedlings to prevent them from drying out. Question is: Is that all I had to do, apart from providing water and sunlight, beforeI transplant them into pots? I worry that I'm missing an important step that the little plants might die before reaching the transplanting stage.

Answer: Sometimes when I answer the many questions I get about the problems of growing from seed, I forget just how easy growing from seed can be. Peat pellets, water, and sunlight -- that's all there is to it. When you see the dinkiest little roots poking through the pellet somewhere, it's time to set that seedling, pellet and all, into a small pot (or peat pot), and then into the ground when it's the right time in your area.