The Q&A Archives: Bearded Iris Not Blooming

Question: I have planted a few iris divisions in February in full sun. Whereas leaves have grown, and some of which have since wilted and been cut off, there has not been a single bloom.

Is it likely that these divisions will bloom next year or shall I discard them? I live in South San Francisco, CA, zone 9.

Thanks for your advice.

Answer: Iris will fail to bloom if they're not getting all day sunshine, or if the rhizomes are planted too deeply. If they're in the sunshine and you set the rhizomes just below the soil surface when you planted them, then perhaps the rhizomes were just too young to bloom this year and may need another year to mature enough to be able to bloom. I'd give them a little more time before giving up completely on them!