The Q&A Archives: Yellowing Leaves On Rhoderdendrm

Question: I have a beautiful red rhody that is 2 years old. This past month or so it's turning yellow and the leaves are falling off. Is it dead, do I leave it alone? I tried feeding it, but it doesnt seem to help? Is it getting too much water from all the rain?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am unable to determine exactly what is wrong with your shrub. Although insects or an infection might cause some foliage damage such as speckling or browning, I would not expect yellowing and leaf drop. Some azaleas do turn yellow for their fall coloring followed by leaf drop, but August is a bit early for that. It is also possible that it is "drowning" since these plants require an evenly moist yet well drained soil, which means it is damp but never soggy. You might want to consult with your county extension for a more specific diagnosis and suggestions as to what to do. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.